Lifeboat week at Lyme Regis, held in the last week of July, is one of the highlights of the year. The week is jam packed with activities and attractions for the whole family. Our particular favourites are:
- the display by the RNLI lifeboat crew. Two lifeboats and their crews simulate a rescue at sea, full of daring manoeuvres with a bird's eye view from our terrace, you can avoid the crowds and make sure you don't miss a thing.
- as night falls, a parade of decorated boats takes place in the Cobb harbour. Last year this was complimented with a drone light display.
- the sea swimming challenge sees both adults and kids swim across from one end of marine parade to the north wall of the cobb. The event is keenly contested and superbly marshalled. Your endeavours are rewarded with a medal and a certificate.
- a treasure hunt on the beach for younger children, dig in the sand, collect the cards and the one with the most cards wins a prize.
- crafting on the seafront, make a kite or chalk your artwork on the pavement.
- our favourite Lyme Regis Celebrity, Alan Vian can be seen all week starting races, overseeing the treasure hunt, comparing exciting events, giving prizes - we actually don't know how he does it - an absolute dynamo!
- the week culminates with the Red Devils parachute display team performing amazing stunts in the air above the Cobb as they descend to the beach.
Cobb Gate Beach House is the perfect place to stay for Lifeboat Week, nothing is more than a couple of minutes walk away, you can pop back and forth for cups of tea, to use the loo, have a snack, give the kids a rest and make sure you don't miss a thing.
The RNLI produce a full program of events which can accessed online or a printed version can be purchased from the lifeboat station and other outlets in the town.